Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Of Leaders & Losers 6. The Valmiki Part II (concluded)



(contd from previous post)

Life cruised on merrily until he bumped into former class-mate of his on one of his regular visits to the station.  ‘Hi, Vishy, are you going somewhere?’ asked Mohan.

‘No, I am here to help someone I know get into the train’, said Vishy.  After the exchange of pleasantries, Vishy learnt that Mohan was appointed as a clerk in the Accounts Department of the Railways, and that he got his ticket confirmed through the Emergency Quota.  Suddenly, Vishy felt odd-indeed, a petty clerk had a right royal way of getting tickets confirmed (i.e., by being a railway employee), while he was dealing in manipulation and earning his livelihood by it! Moreover, jobs in the Railways were permanent, and one could be assured of regular income and lead one’s own life, with no requirement to bribe one’s way through.  The best way to beat bureaucracy was by being a part of it, he felt.  Suddenly, he was overwhelmed by guilt and wanted to get into the railways to be assured of traveling accommodation.


Vishy considered his options carefully.  His personal monthly earnings were around Rs. 10,000/- over the past two years-and-a-half, despite enrolling his brother into the business.  He had kept a copy of the pay scales of the V Pay Commission, which he would take out, time and again, to keep reminding himself of the ‘multiple earning potential’ of the Government employees he interacted with on business.  This time, he took it out on a different purpose – he wanted to check his legitimate earning potential if he got into the Railways as a clerk.  Oops – it was less than what he earned as an Operations Supervisor.  That was not a viable option.  So he had to get into the Government at a higher level.  So, he thought of making a sincere attempt at the Civil services examination.

* * * * * * * * *

          ‘Vishy, you haven’t changed one bit in four years’, said Dinakar, when they met at the Coaching Centre.  Dinakar had studied the B.A. course, when Vishy was pursuing his B.Sc.  They were out of touch till they met.  Dinakar told Vishy that he had completed his M.Phil. in Telugu Literature.  On their first day at the Coaching Centre, its director exhorted the hopefuls to prepare in groups, so that the entire syllabus could be divided and shared.  ‘‘Divide and Share’ should be your policy’, he said adding, ‘but each one must be sincere and committed.  Each one should not only revise their portions thoroughly, but one should also sincerely share with others in the group’.

          ‘Are you going to form us into groups, Sir?’ asked one aspirant.  ‘No, you divide whom you are comfortable with’, replied Director.

          ‘Why don’t you and I study together?  We have, diverse academic backgrounds.  We can assist each other in our preparations, proposed Vishy.  Dinakar gladly agreed.

          Both of them worked hard.  Vishy brushed up their knowledge in Science, Geography, Reasoning, etc, while Dinakar contributed in the Humanities Sector and their optional Telugu Literature.  They were competitors as well as collaborators, they were teachers as well as taught.  In the Coaching Centre, they did their mock tests exceptionally well, and were widely expected to make it to the exclusive club of civil servants next year.

          May 1999.  Both Vishy and Dinakar came out of their exam centres, exhausted yet satisfied.  They compared their answers.  Dinakar was sure to make it, Vishy appeared to be a borderline candidate.

          The two young men continued with their Mains preparation.  This time, Dinakar took the greater share in enhancing knowledge, because they had chosen History as their second optional.

          The results were not optimistic.  Dinakar made it, while Vishy did not.  But Vishy did his bit – he supported Dinakar very effectively.

          Late October, 1999.  Vishy found himself in the Visakhapatnam Railway Station to see off Dinakar.  ‘All the best.  Aerosols, Chandra, GM crops – all of these are expected questions.  Don’t forget to revise the bullet points I made out.  I’m sure by this time of next year, I’ll have seen you off to Mussoorie’.

          As the Godavari express pulled out of platform number one, Vishy made his way to the exit.  ‘Hello, Viswanath garu!  How are you?’ said a familiar voice.  Vishy looked around.  It was Ratnam, a ‘friendly’ TTE.  ‘Hello, Ratnam garu.  I’m fine.  Hope all is well on your side’, replied Vishy politely.  ‘I haven’t seen you of late!’. 

‘Yes, you are right.  I gave up my business.  I’m now back to studies’.

‘All the best, then’.

‘Thank you’.

April 4, 2000.  Dinakar moved a step ahead!  He was just a step away from being a coveted civil servant.  Wow! Vishy was a part of the celebrations as well as preparation for the Personality Test.  ‘Dad suggests I go over to Hyderabad to get trained for the Test’, mentioned Dinakar.  ‘Oh, I see.  How quickly have you to go?  What is the possibility of getting reservation?’ asked Vishy.  ‘There is some mock interview course in an Institute starting Monday.  I’ll have to leave by Sunday.  Regarding reservation, I hope it will not be a problem because summer holidays are yet to begin, either in schools or colleges’.  Dinakar was right.  He managed to get a confirmed ticket without much hassle.

A sealed cover arrived from the UPSC with a date which was to seal Dinakar’s fate.  There was hardly any time to make reservations.  By then, the holiday season had begun, and all at home were concerned about getting a confirmed ticket to Delhi.  ‘How will you go, if you cannot get a confirmed ticket’, asked Dinakar’s mother.

‘We cannot afford air travel.  Having said that, I don’t mind sending my son by air for his interview’, declared his father.

‘Don’t worry Uncle and Aunty.  Dinakar will go by train, and with a confirmed ticket, and comfortably as well.  I’ll arrange all that’, chipped in Vishy, who was also around.

‘How are you going to arrange that?’ asked Dinakar.

‘I know a lot of booking clerks.  I’ll get you a confirmed ticket’.

‘Why will he do that for you?’

‘Did you forget?  I was a railway reservation agent until two years ago’.

‘What if the train is already full by then?’

‘I have friends amongst TTEs too’.

‘But your friend will not go up to Delhi’.
‘Yes, he won’t.  But he can arrange for it.  Have faith in me and leave it to me’.

Dinakar was disturbed and agitated. 

‘If I have to pay a bribe to reach Delhi, will God not punish me by failing me in the Personality test?’ he asked.

‘Oh, that’s ok.  God knows practical difficulties’, replied Vishy.

‘No, I can’t agree to it.  Either I’ll fail or I’ll have a regretful career, if I try to cut the corners’.

‘Please agree, Dinakar’, pleaded Vishy.

Dinakar paused for a while, and, with a look smacking of firmness, declared, ‘If we don’t get a proper ticket to Delhi, I’ll travel by general coach.  I’m an able-bodied fellow, and I know God will be on my side.

Yes, indeed.  God was on his side.  Swarna Jayanthi Express, a newly introduced train, came in handy.  And Dinakar got a confirmed berth (No. 72 in a sleeper coach).

‘Oh, I’ll have to bear fragrance for thirty seven hours’, he complained. 

‘Look who’s complaining!  Is it the same old brave heart who wanted to travel by a general coach?  Now seriously, do you want me to get your seat number changed?’

‘Oh, no.  I’d rather bear the unpleasant smell’, said Dinakar.

‘Make sure you are thorough on Janmabhoomi.  You are from Andhra Pradesh, and you can be sure of some question on that’, advised Vishy, as the train pulled out of platform number three.

The results were out.  And Dinakar had made it.  His family members thanked Vishy profusely for standing like a rock behind their son.

‘Why don’t you try again?’ asked Vishy.

‘I can’t.  I need to reduce my father’s burden’, replied Dinakar.

‘In that case, I’ll go over to Hyderabad and prepare for my next attempt’.  ‘Give me a chance to make amends.  I’ll assist you in your two optionals before I leave for Mussoorie’.

Vishy agreed.  They studied as though they had to appear at the examinations in a day or two.

‘My brother has been blessed with a son.  I’ll have to attend the naming ceremony in Warangal’, said Vishy one day.

‘Please pass on congratulations from my side.  We’ll meet on Monday’.

It was Monday.  The phone rang.  Dinakar was busy giving finishing touches to some notes he had made.  ‘Dinakar, it’s from Vishy’, called out his mother.  ‘Hi, Vishy. I’m ready with the chapter on Manu Charitra’.

‘Hey, Dinakar, I’m unwell, so will see you tomorrow, bye’, hung up Vishy in a feeble voice.

‘How do you feel now?’ asked Dinakar of Vishy who turned up for the training on Manu Charitra.  ‘I’m better’, he said. 

‘What made you fall ill?  Did you have outside food or water?’

‘No, I did not.  I just traveled by general compartment, that’s all’.

‘You had so many friends…….’

‘Oh, that’s passé.  Man, I’m impressed by your idealism.  I assure you I’ll follow it throughout my life’, assured Vishy.

* * * * * * * * *
Epilogue:

          Vishy did not regret the non-realisation of his dream.  He’s now working to ensure that the Government’s welfare activities reach the intended beneficiaries – yes he’s with a sincere NGO.  Let’s salute this reformed leader.
* * * * * * * * * * (concluded)

8 comments:

irnewshari said...

Really great to find that Vishy realised his mistake and started to make amends by serving for the needy. It will be nice if more people realise this fact at an early date.

Hari

Mediocre to the Core said...

that's why i chose to write this one, thanx, Hari!

Unknown said...

truly good...your story telling talent is reallly improving day by day

Mediocre to the Core said...

thanx a lot dear.........

Unknown said...

Careful efforts are discernible. I am impressed with the content and its true that your story telling style has improved a lot.

Mediocre to the Core said...

thank u jagannath, but u hv hardly read any on mine!!!!!

simple said...

Vishy is certainly enlightened one, thanks to the ideals of his friend. No one is born with inferior motives. it is the life that teaches them a lesson or two. Felt glad that Vishy chose the right way.. :)

Mediocre to the Core said...

Yes, I am glad, too, Simple!