Saturday, September 20, 2014

Kicking a Habit


          ‘When do we get married? How long do I wait?’
No, it wasn’t a girl asking a boy, but the other way round. No response.
‘Think of our friends. They are all married’. So what, seemed to be her expression.
‘Ravi and Sitara have a daughter. She’s already two. I’ll still keep asking you about our marriage and Guddi, meanwhile, would have found her man! Will we ever get married? I’d better ask an astrologer than you..’


‘Good, go ahead. Do you know of anyone or should I give you the co- ordinates of my family astrologer?’
He looked at her. Normally, such comments would be with a smile. Her face was thoughtful. It looked disturbed as well.
‘Darling, what is wrong? It has become a daily routine for me to propose and for you, to dispose our marriage. There is a limit to all this. Five years since we decided to be companions in life’s journey, and no progress! Height of my patience!’
‘Go ahead, choose another girl’. He knew it was going out of hand. He sat next to her on the bench of the Nehru Park, where they used to meet as college students madly in love with each other.
He held her hand in his and asked, like a child making amends for bad behaviour, ‘What makes you so sad?’
‘I’ll never step into Sitara’s home again. I’m sad for her. Ravi is an idiot.’
He wondered what would have happened. After all, Ravi was known to be a decent fellow and uxorious as well. Moreover, Ravi and Sitara were their batch- mates and great friends of theirs. He did not suspect any inappropriate behaviour on part of Ravi.
‘Did he become an idiot simply because he stood by his girl and walked out of his riches to start from the scratch?’
She gave him a glare. He did not continue. ‘She too had walked out of her family. Remember that! Yesterday, Ravi and Sitara called me over for dinner, you know, right? Ravi has become brazen. He boozed in front of me. I got annoyed. I got up to walk out. On Sitara’s pleading that there shall be no further consumption, I stayed back’.
His eyes glittered. ‘Booze in your presence? Wow, I should say Ravi is courageous. He accomplished what I could not do in these long years of courtship.. ‘
‘Shut up. It is not all. He made Guddi sit on his lap, and continued his activity. How will he ever have any moral authority to tell his child that drinking is a vice? He was very unperturbed when the child dipped her finger into the goblet. He was proud that his blood was running through her veins. Great parent!!’
‘Darling, it’s their problem’, he tried to convince her.
‘You are his booze partner. Some of his “Dutch” courage would have rubbed on you. I can imagine how bad a parent you’ll be. You may be whatever you like, but I can’t give you company; I’m no Sitara. Tell me if and when you quit the habit and don’t give into peer pressure. Please don’t make me regret being in love with you.’ The last sentence gave him some solace, and he held her hand warmly. They soon went their ways.
************
‘Darling, do you remember Amit?’
‘Why not, he was the only classmate of ours who studied at a prestigious B- School’.
‘We bumped into each other at the restaurant. He was here on work.’
‘Great. Why did you not bring him here?’
‘He had left shortly after lunch’.
‘He told me an interesting thing. You want me quit booze, right. It’s a habit. If you delete ‘h’, ‘a bit’ remains. If you delete ‘a’, ‘bit’ remains. If you delete ‘b’, ‘it’ remains. If you delete ‘i’,‘t’ still remains! Haha, no habit can be kicked. So, please accept me as your loving husband as I am…’
‘Pray, was this a management lesson taught in his B- school?’
‘Yes. No wonder that it helps to study in a premier institution!’
‘And, did he tell you the context of all that exercise? I bet he wouldn’t have. Or, you wouldn’t have taken it as it wouldn’t serve your cause. Were we not taught in Moral Science in our High School that habits need to be formed carefully as they can’t be kicked easily? Some creative talk and you fall for it! I wonder if you can ever quit this loathsome habit!’
************
‘How was your trip to the countryside?’
‘It’s OK.’
‘You’re dull. I expected you to be excited!’ said he, and, peering into her eyes, continued, ‘Ah! They’re red! Don’t tell me you were on a high on country liquor!’
She began to walk away silently. Yes, habits die hard. This guy was incorrigible. If only he had reformed himself, she’d have been happily leading her life as a married woman, in the loving company of the man she genuinely fell for.
He overtook her and blocked her way, folded his palms and pleaded, ’Forgive me and tell me what happened!’
‘Your brethren caused me all this trauma!’
‘My brethren? Who?’
‘Your drunkard brethren. On my return journey, all the others in my bay were men. I thought they were gentlemen. No, they were drunkards! They were absolute strangers to one another. I could figure that out from their conversation. In no time, they enquired about the others’ drinking habits and virtually opened a bar! It was dark outside and I could not see any helpline number in any station. Otherwise, I would have got them detrained! I did not even lie down on my berth. I sat cross- legged and did not sleep a wink all night!’
He tried make light of a sombre situation. ‘Thank God, you’re safe. You see, not all who drink are lecherous..’
‘You’re spineless. You don’t deserve a wife, forget me. What kind of security can you give her against any drunkard? After all, you may join him for a drink! And, since it’s not your life, you selectively forget all that you’ve read about the link between drunkenness and sexual offences!’
‘Sorry, dear. I didn’t mean that. Do you ever think I can misbehave with a woman?’
She looked into his eyes. There she found sincerity as well as seriousness. She softened. ‘Sweetie pie, you cannot. I know that. I love your sense of restraint. We’ve been in love for so long, and your only expression of love has been holding my hand, tenderly and warmly. Expression of love need not be physical. You’ve demonstrated it all these years! And I love you even more if only for that. You’re such a good human being, and it is not appropriate for you to indulge in such vices. Picture this. How can you protect any woman if you are inebriated?’
They held hands and sat silently on the bench of Nehru Park for a while before leaving for their respective homes.
************
‘Have you heard this? Ravi has been diagnosed with malignancy of the liver. Third Stage. The position is precarious. I’ll be glad if you can cut short your trip and return. They have no familial connections to assist them, right? Yes, all of us who are here have taken leave and are assisting Ravi and Sitara’.
They took turns to render assistance. Ravi seemed to improve. Three months after he recovered, Ravi developed secondaries. Our protagonists, concerned about their friend’s health, never discussed marriage or its attendant conditions.
When Ravi passed away after another six months, it was a relief to him, for it liberated him from all the suffering he went through.
************
‘Six months have passed by since Ravi passed away. Sitara prefers to stay alone and raise Guddi. She’s put her foot down on any proposal for remarriage’.
‘What for are you her friend? Convince her, won’t you?’
‘She’s clear. She will not budge. I know that. Do you know why I was so obstinate in my opposition to your habit? Death can come any time. But it should not be with an ‘if only’ regret. Sitara always held that Ravi was an adult and was entitled to his decisions. Look who’s left behind, and with what magnitude of sorrow. I love you, and can live the rest of my life imagining that you are well. I’d rather be a widow when you are alive than dead. I beseech you, please go away from me. I can’t see you die right in front of my eyes, with me being helpless about it all….’ She wept inconsolably. He was now able to see her side of the story, and realised why he was not married so far. He decided to make amends. But people in love don’t require words to communicate, do they? He held her hand warmly, as they sat on their favourite bench in the Nehru Park.
************

+


14 comments:

MYKUMAR said...

Good morning sister, It is not only a nice story but an eye opener also for the youngsters who become or tend to become drunkards, in the extraordinary comforts, they enjoy on getting huge payments and feel the life as an enjoyment only on such things.

Mediocre to the Core said...

Good Morning, Anna! Thank you for taking the story in its right spirit...if this story can make anyone kick the vice, I'd be more than happy!

irnewshari said...

It is sad to find that the drinking habit has spread to women also. The party culture has also led to the spread of this habit. Hope this situation changes in the near future.

Mediocre to the Core said...

I wonder how many start off as 'social drinkers' and remain so. My stand is very firm. My voice may not be heard, but I shall speak against the evil!

Thinker said...

Great story as always!

Mediocre to the Core said...

Thank u Thinker ! But where's ur analysis?

simple said...

A great one.. to make us remember the important things in life. We should never ever let our families down for the sake of vices. Those who get life easy may never know the value of a family. No vice is worth pursuing... Especially those which lower our dignity in front of our children. What remains in the end is just memories..and who would like to leave painful ones ??

Mediocre to the Core said...

Thank you, Simple, for all your encouragement! Your statement, 'No vice is worth pursuing... ' sums up all that I had wanted to say! Thank you!

Unknown said...

Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.An over-indulgence of anything, even something as pure as water, can intoxicate,
You can't make yourself feel positive, but you can choose how to act, .We become what we repeatedly do.and if you choose right, it builds your confidence

Mediocre to the Core said...

Well said, young man! God bless you!

Thinker said...

Ha ha.. you know my thoughts already :)
When my grand father was alive, he hated the sight or smell of alcohol. He married his three daughters off to complete teetotallers. When one of his daughters had another daughter who went in pursuit of higher studies outside the state and the country, she had made friends who were social drinkers. She was taught in Medical School that small quantities of alcohol are actually good for health. She also was dealing with alcohol in her day to day to life - in the ward, where the patients are crowded into too close a bed, there is no other go except rubbing your hands with alcohol and going on to the next patient.
So today she argues with her mom about this same issue. Her mom hates alcohol. This girl thinks she understands it. Alcohol is just a substance, neither good or bad inherently - only depends on what use it is put to. Alcohol is unknowingly ingested by us in cough syrups. fermented substances etc., So she thinks she cant judge social drinkers. Then there are those unfortunate people who do possess a gene for addiction and who do get addicted. If we just look alcoholism as a 'bad habit' only versus the physiological disease it is, there is a danger of it leading to stigma towards alcoholics. When they actually might need medical intervention we might deem it unnecessary as it is just a 'habit' and they can 'control' it through self will. (like how people used to view insanity in olden days - transfer of guilt to the victim).

See, you should not ever ask me for analysis, or i ll end up spewing all this :)

Mediocre to the Core said...

Thinker, I appreciate your view, despite it being contrary to mine. Yet, I do not endorse an objective view on matters, which can take a potentially dangerous twist, if looked at with detachment. If you revisit the story, you will understand the price Sitara paid for having taken such a view. Just because one may meet with accident some day, one should not be looking forward to it. I stand by my story.

Anonymous said...

I believe any story should have a message. I like the style of writing, the simplicity of language, the message conveyed and also relevance of the topic in this day. Bravo dear friend.

Mediocre to the Core said...

thank u dear Shanti!